Have you ever had trouble finding an airport at night, especially in an urban environment? Here are some strategies you can use on your next flight to safely find the runway.
1) Compare the airport’s location to a nearby charted town or city. Use the relative location of the airport in comparison to your compass to find a general direction.
2) Search the night sky for the single white and green flash of the airport’s beacon.
3) When available, always back up a visual approach with horizontal and vertical guidance from an instrument approach.
4) Study the airport diagram to familiarize yourself with the layout of runways and taxiway, so you can look out for familiar airport lighting layouts.
5) If pilot controlled lighting is available, consider turning the airport lights to the brightest setting, at least initially.
6) Study the approach light systems in use for each runway so you can spot the airport. You can find a generalized layout of approach lighting on any instrument approach plate.
7) If there are highways nearby, be sure to avoid mistaking runway lights for well-lit roadways.
Have you ever had trouble finding an airport at night? Tell us in the comments below.
Ready to start your airline career? Want to fly an E-170/175? Get started and apply to Republic Airways today.