Everything you need to know about the Hawaiian Airlines frequent flyer program.
Hawaiian Airlines’ loyalty program is HawaiianMiles, and it was started back in 1983. It allows passengers to redeem earnings for free or discounted flights, to upgrade their class of travel and to access other discounts on things like car rental, hotel stays and merchandise. As Hawaiian is not a member of any airline alliance, opportunities for earning and burning miles are more limited than some other programs. Nevertheless, if you’re a Hawaiian Airlines fan, it’s worth considering getting on board with the program.
Despite the lack of alliance benefits, HawaiianMiles can be accrued and redeemed with a selection of partner airlines. These are Japan Airlines, JetBlue, Korean Air, Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Australia and China Airlines. Hawaiian also has a number of codeshares in place, which can open up opportunities to fly on airlines like United, Delta and American, as well as more exotic choices, including Philippine Airlines and Turkish.
Photo: Thiago B Trevisan/Shutterstock
Pros and cons of HawaiianMiles
The plus sides of being a HawaiianMiles member are strong ones, and could influence your choice of loyalty program. These include:
- Non-expiration of miles – as long as your account stays open, your miles never expire!
- Many ways to earn miles, including through hotel stays and with credit card spends
- Hawaiian is one of the few airlines still using award charts instead of dynamic pricing – this can make redeeming points more transparent and straightforward
- Flights on Hawaiian are good value compared with some competitors flying similar routes
Of course, it’s not all white picket fences and roses, and there are some downsides of HawaiianMiles to be aware of. For example:
- Basic membership (before achieving status tiers) offers little benefit
- A limited number of partner airlines, and it is not possible to earn Elite status with the partners the airline has
- Membership benefits that come with Elite status are not transferrable to partner airlines, only Hawaiian
With that, let’s dive deeper into this popular loyalty program to see what’s in store.
Photo: Vincenzo Pace | Simple Flying
HawaiianMiles Status Tiers
Elite status with HawaiianMiles is known as Pualani Elite. This is earned by frequent flying with Hawaiian Airlines and partners, but as benefits are mostly just with Hawaiian Airlines, it is really aimed at those in Hawaii. Unlike many other airline loyalty programs, you can earn status just from flying, with even the lowest-priced tickets making a good contribution.
The Different Tiers Of Hawaiian Airlines’ HawaiianMiles Program
How To Earn HawaiianMiles
HawaiianMiles is the frequent flyer and mileage program of Hawaiian Airlines. As with most airlines’ programs, it will be mainly of interest to regular users of the airlines. This is, even more, the case with HawaiianMiles, as the airline is not part of any of the main alliances.
The Different Ways To Earn Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles
How To Spend HawaiianMiles
Hawaii Airlines loyalty program HawaiianMiles is aimed mainly at frequent Hawaiian Airlines flyers. When redeeming miles, however, there are several options other than just using them for Hawaiian Airlines flights. Using miles with partner airlines flights can be good value, if you can find availability, plus there are other possibilities.
How To Spend Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles